The University of New Mexico invites student athletes, athletic administrators, faculty members, undergraduate and graduate students to participate in The UNM Symposium on College Athletics. The event will be held in THE PIT – UNM’s historic arena – on April 12, 2016. The symposium aims to facilitate dialogue about college athletics by bringing together all types of stake-holders in college athletics in one place.
This conference is multidisciplinary. Student athletes are especially encouraged to participate. Faculty members are urged to propose panels that include their undergraduate/graduate students. Additionally, we invite athletic administrators to offer their research for public debate. The conference program will include 60 minute panels, poster presentations, 30 minute presentations, and a keynote address. Presentation media and technology will be available.
The driving question for this year’s conference is: “So what constitutes success in college athletics?” We hope to have this question addressed from a multitude of angles. Ideas for topics include:
- Revenue sports versus Olympic sports
- Changing definition of amateurism
- The history of intercollegiate athletics and the NCAA
- Gender and college sport
- Title IX
- Conference realignment
- Cost of Attendance
- Jenkins/O’Bannon lawsuits
- Time demands
- Impact of professional leagues on college athletics
- Power Five disparities
- Media takeover of college athletics
- Student athlete health and awareness
- Non-cognitive barriers to student athlete success
- Student athletes for non-traditional status
Paper Proposals must have the following components:
- Title of proposal
- Abstract: a concise description of the methods, questions, and implications of your project. 200 words maximum.
- Biographical information: Organization or institution, position or title, brief bio
Submission Deadline: March 11, 2016. Please submit all proposals to Dr. Ryan Swanson firstname.lastname@example.org, UNM Honors College, by COB March 11, 2016.
The conference will be held at the University of New Mexico’s Wise Pies Arena, AKA the Pit, on April 12, 2016. The symposium will be hosted by Dr. Swanson, with support from the UNM Honors College, Athletic Department, and Department of Sport Administration. It will occur under the umbrella of UNM’s long-running Shared Knowledge Conference. Registration is free and open to all.