The 2021 Northeast Popular Culture Association (NEPCA) will host its annual conference this fall as another virtual conference from Thursday, October 21-Saturday, October 23 in a similar structure to last year (Thursday evening, Friday late afternoon, Saturday morning).
Registration is now open at Eventbrite. We are maintaining the same prices as last year with all tickets priced at $50 (plus service charge) which will include membership renewal and access to the conference. For lifetime members, past presidents, or those who have renewed their membership after last year’s conference, it will be $15. Additionally, we recognize that this year has been particularly challenging for many members financially. If you find the current prices are out of your range, please reach out the Lance Eaton (email@example.com) to determine if other means are possible for admission to the conference. There are a limited number of spots available for this in order for the conference to maintain its overall affordability, so please reach out as soon as possible.
We are looking forward to another engaging and rewarding conference for new and seasoned members alike. We are seeking proposals for panels and presentations for this year’s conference.
NEPCA prides itself on holding conferences that emphasize sharing ideas in a non-competitive and supportive environment. We welcome proposals from graduate students, junior faculty, and senior scholars. NEPCA conferences offer intimate and nurturing sessions in which new ideas and works-in-progress can be aired, as well as completed projects.
In the past year, we have updated our areas and therefore, encourage those submitting a CFP to revisit the conference areas page.
The call will be open until August 1, 2021. You can submit your proposal at this link, which will ask the following questions about your proposal:
- Proposal Type (Single Presentation or Panel)
- Subject Area
- Working Title
- Abstract (250 words)
- Short bio (50-200 words)
Social & Special Event Proposals
This year, we are also looking for proposals for special and social events. Given that it is virtual, we know that we miss some of the communal aspects that occur at the physical conference. So, if you have an idea for an event, session, etc, please feel free to pitch them. These can include but are not limited to:
- Network Opportunities (sessions for networking around a particular topic, geographic area, career stage, etc)
- Advice sessions (tips for tenure, how to publish an academic book, converting academese into accessible writing and speaking, course design tips, etc).
- Nerd-outs (sessions where a particular topic, section of pop culture, or the like is offered up as a purpose of gathering and chatting)
- Watch parties (new shows, old movies, classic commercials, or Saturday morning cartoons, etc)
- Games (lots of different games out there to play via virtual environment from trivia to role playing games to board games)
We will continue to update this page as new information becomes available to share.
Last updated – 2/23/2021