The Northeast Popular/American Culture Association (NEPCA) is seeking paper proposals on the topic of Digital Media and Gaming Culture for its annual conference, occurring online from 21 October through 23 October 2021.
In this area, we welcome a wide variety of papers on the subjects of digital media and/or gaming, both fields loosely defined. Submissions should interrogate the role of the digital and/or gaming practices in our cultural identity in some way. This can be an exploration of video gaming and virtual reality platforms, but it is not limited to these forms. Papers might also consider, but are not limited to: social media; the internet; the digital and/or gamification in schools and/or museums; digital and virtual modes of performance; tabletop gaming; live action role playing; and the introduction or integration of gamification into a wide range of fields and industries.
Central questions that papers might explore (but are not limited to):
- How did we, as a culture, become digital?
- What is the role of the digital and/or virtual in popular culture?
- What is the crossroads between digital media–such as video games–and politics, social issues, racial justice, and/or current or historical events?
- To what degree does the virtual or digital constitute performance?
- What role does gaming (or do games) play in our daily lives?
- How have games impacted and/or changed American cultural identity/popular culture?
- How can we use gaming as a tool for change?
Papers may also offer critical analyses of particular game titles, game series, or game types.
Please submit your proposal by 1 August 2021 HERE. Proposals should include:
- Proposal Type (Single Presentation or Panel)
- Subject Area
- Working Title
- Abstract (250 words)
- Short bio (50-200 words)
Please consider submitting paper proposals that engage any aspect of digital media or gaming studies for NEPCA 2021. You may reach out to Area Chair Kelly I. Aliano (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns. Thanks and we look forward to receiving your proposal!