Call for Papers for Film and History area for the 2020 Northeast Popular/American Culture Association (NEPCA) annual conference scheduled for Friday, October 23 – Saturday, October 24 at the Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester, New Hampshire.
Dr. Carol Mitchell; Area Chair of Film and History
Call for Papers: Film and History. The annual fall conference of NEPCA will be held at Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester, New Hampshire on October 23-24, 2020. Deadline for proposals is June 1, 2020. Visit the NEPCA website at: https://nepca.blog/conference/ for full information on proposal submission and registration.
Film and History welcomes presentations on a wide range of film topics contributing to popular culture.
Suggestions for topics include:
- The effect of the Pandemic on the future of cinema
- Global/social awareness through documentary film
- Academy Awards’ nominations, policies and practices
- Films portraying historical events with great accuracy or which provide fresh or controversial perspectives (e.g., Spotlight; BlacKkKlansman)
- Films exploring the nature of complex characters or incorporating social, political, and cultural themes (e.g., heroism, friendship, injustice, racism, betrayal, ambition)
- Film adaptations of other media, (i.e., novels, short stories, theatre) or from real life
- Film genres, such as comedy, film noir, the Western, war film, or science fiction
- Filmmaking and film directors (e.g., Scorsese’s portrayal of women)
- History of the cinema and economic and cultural impacts of film on society
Please submit your paper proposals by following the 2020 Paper Proposals link at: https://nepca.blog/conference/ by June 1, 2020.
NEPCA presentations are generally 15-20 minutes in length and may be delivered either formally or informally. As Area Chair of Film and History, I am happy to preview your proposal.
NEPCA prides itself on holding conferences that emphasize sharing ideas in a non-competitive and supportive environment consisting of graduate students, independent scholars, junior faculty, and senior scholars.