Call for Participants: Center for Jewish History Scholars Working Group 2019-2021: “Hear Their Cry”: Understanding the Jewish Orphan Experience
Do not take advantage of any widow or orphan. If you take advantage and they cry out to me, I will certainly hear their cry (Shemot 22:21-23).
While there is extensive scholarship on orphans and on the immigrant experience, the focus on Jewish orphans and the immigrant experience of Jewish orphan is less developed.
Scholars interested in conducting research broadly related to the experience of Jewish orphans are invited to join the 2019-2021 Scholars Working Group at the Center for Jewish History. Connecting scholars across different disciplinary backgrounds and career stages, the Scholars Working Group promises to support participants in their work and add to the relevant scholarship.
Scholars Participants stand to benefit from:
- research and writing assistance;
- opportunities to present their work;
- collaboration and networking with colleagues; and
- assistance with publication and presentation, including engagement with the digital humanities.
Scholar Participants will be expected to:
- workshop their projects-in-progress and read/comment on the work of others at the meetings of the Scholars Working Group;
- consider presenting at the Scholars Working Group’s Public Symposium; and
- attend and help to promote relevant public lectures and events at the Center for Jewish History.
Graduate students are welcome and encouraged to join the Scholars Working Group, which will feature opportunities for professional development. A limited number of participants can be accommodated virtually, via Skype or Zoom. Notably, all Scholar Participants will actively shape the direction, nature, and schedule of the Working Group.
Facilitated by Susan Jacobowitz, Ph.D., Associate Professor of English and Amy E. Traver, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Sociology at Queensborough Community College, The City University of New York, the Scholars Working Group will meet six times a year, on Fridays, at the Center for Jewish History (15 West 16th Street, NYC 10011).
To join the Scholars Working Group, or if you would like further information, please emailSJacobowitz@qcc.cuny.edu and ATraver@qcc.cuny.edu by Friday, April 26. Please include your full name, institutional affiliation/position, and general research interest in the email.